HGV medical and glaucoma!

peter s:
A bit about me: I hit 60 last September. I’ve only worn glasses for reading over the last 8 years or so. No halo’s around bright lights,although I have detected over the last few days a small sensitivity to bright daylight…not much,but it’s there. The optician did not give me specific pressures,but I will certainly call in and find out ! She just said that I was slightly above the limit for the DVLA HGV eye test,whatever that is… I’ll report back when I’ve found out the number.
Would you mind telling me about the operation,please ■■..Is it done under a general anaesthetic ?..Do you lose your sight for short while ,when they do this ■■ Any other info,that you think is relevant ?

The reason you are sensitive to bright daylight is because your eye pressure has increased and it will get worse unless treated Usually starts in one eye first then the second eye gets it, sometimes not. Going to have a guess lol, pressure somewhere between 17 and 21. Here’s the important bit. Should your sensitivity to light increase, i.e becomes more sensitive, see halo’s around car headlight/streets lights, headache or pain around the eye socket, between now and your hospital appointment then get yourself down to the eye casualty, usually beside the eye clinic.
You’re 60 so this is common in your age group. I got it when I was about 33 and I’m 51 now. Don’t worry about the operation as you’re unlikely to have it. I was the same as ROG, drops stopped working. But as you asked. The operation can be performed while awake :open_mouth: or under a general anaesthetic, I went for the general for obvious reasons lol. It takes about half an hour, painless and doesn’t affect your sight. There is some discomfort afterwards where the stitches rub against the eye lid and thats it really.
Peter
[/quote]
Peter,Thanks very much for your advice and information…much appreciated ! It really helps to hear it from someone who’s been through all this.
I’ll report back when I’ve been on to the opticians for that info…Thanks again. :slight_smile: