HGV medical and glaucoma!

peter s:

Jayen4:
So…I have in the last 10 days or so had my HGV medical,which of course includes an eye test. Went along to my optician and was subjected to allsorts of weird tests,that I’d not encountered before.
Anyhow,the upshot is that the optician came up with the news that I have ‘Raised I.O.P’s’ (the pressure in your eyeballs),plus on the field test,I missed a very small area in my right eye,where I didn’t see the dots,which she says is the beginning of Glaucoma ! I have been referred to the hospital for further tests and am awaiting an appointment.
The other tests are within acceptable limits,per DVLA rules and regs. I do need glasses for reading,but not anything else. She put on the form about the ‘raised I.O.P’s’. The rest of the medical at the docs was o.k. …So,I’m wondering if DVLA will revoke my licence…anyone got any experience of this sort of thing ■■..
Wasn’t even aware of this,until the optician told me… A bit concerning,to say the least !!

Hi Jayen. I have Glaucoma in both eyes for 18 years now and I’m a euro tramper…just about lol. The highest pressure I’ve had was 44 but a average between say 20 and 35 for a few years over that time, it was a battle… Woke up blind one morning could’nt see a thing after a junior doctor took me off a pressure drop, It came back two days later. In the end I had surgery on both eyes were they make small holes in the eye to help drainage. My pressure as of last thursday were 4 in left and 7 in right and I no longer take drops and I was at one time on 8 drops 4 times a day…nightmare First: What is the pressure recorded in both eyes and what age are you? Are you under 35 years? Second: The optician does not necessarily know if you have Glaucoma and you might not have it. You probably have inflammation which causes the pressure to rise and that need dealt with otherwise it can lead to Glaucoma.Are you seeing halo’s around bright lights? Either way don’t worry. The hospital will do the same tests only they’re are a bit more accurate. Treatment is with drops, one for the inflammation and one for the pressure if needes, could be more drops depending on how bad you are. Pressure vary from person to person. Good luck

Hi Peter…Thanks for that info…really useful to hear from someone who’s been through this. I’ll bet you were scared when you woke up blind !..I would have been in bits ! :open_mouth: Glad you’re o.k. now tho…

A bit about me: I hit 60 last September. I’ve only worn glasses for reading over the last 8 years or so. No halo’s around bright lights,although I have detected over the last few days a small sensitivity to bright daylight…not much,but it’s there. The optician did not give me specific pressures,but I will certainly call in and find out ! She just said that I was slightly above the limit for the DVLA HGV eye test,whatever that is… I’ll report back when I’ve found out the number.
Would you mind telling me about the operation,please ■■..Is it done under a general anaesthetic ?..Do you lose your sight for short while ,when they do this ■■ Any other info,that you think is relevant ?