Long Departed Southampton Hauliers (Part 1)

Barry Squibb whom I went to school with at Bartley near Cadnam that is when he was in attendance as you mentioned, Jim ran transport back then from an old wood yard in Bartley and his trailers were often parked in a layby near the old radio mast and café on the Totton road. Barry was a couple of years younger than me so would be about 65ish now, he did run a hotel in the west country but last I heard had a garage in Exeter which does not surprise me with his racing background and love of competitive racing. Jim did a lot of maintenance on all there trucks and always remember him telling me he changed the bearing shells on the one F88 they ran when I was there every year and also changed the oil more regular than recommended as he said oil was cheaper than engines. As a boy I remember a round cabbed AEC driven by a Mr Ken Batten from Nomansland and he parked on the side of a forest road back then but would not be safe or allowed today. By the way this is how I met Mappo who was driving for Squibb’s or Transport Services at the time and later he drove for us, he was a bit of a moaner but did a good job so cant complain too much, retarded now just on here and watching telly with occasional trips out with matron for a fried breakfast with some of the old boys, lots of memories of the past which we all think were the best days in the job, definitely Mary Hopkins era, Buzzer.