Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR

Hi Dave.

I’ve tried to read as many posts as I can so hopefully you haven’t already answered this question. It’s more of a general question with exact examples. Simply put I would like to know where I can find out the required information so I can solve my problems.

I work for a consolidation centre dealing with restaurants. We deal with everything from food to kitchen equipment and cleaning products which is where my questions come in.

My understand was that anything with a dangerous goods sticker on it had to be transported with an ADR. As I’m learning this is not the case. I’ve now learnt there are 5(?) groups of dangerous goods. Exempt, limited, expected, ADR and something else. How do I know what I can take without possessing an ADR which I do not have. For example UN 1824 being a cleaning solution in 20l plastic contains says that the limited quantity is 1l and the excepted quantity is E2 with the table giving 30ml as inner packaging and 500ml as outer. You might as well be speaking Chinese to me. Then I also understand there is a 1000 point system. As I was transporting 40l of this stuff I got 40 points so I was under the 1000 points so I could take it without any additional rules.

We have also had to transport UN 1013 being carbon dioxide cylinders. About 10kgs each. So when I look up this information as above how do I know when I have reached my limit and need further training to transport such things. I hope I’ve not confused you too much in my rambeling!

Justin