Middle-East Run Trucks Cemetery

volvo303:
the lads name was chris taylor dad was ken taylor ran taytran one of the best gent to work for i drove a volvo and transcons for him yes they did loose a fiat chris got held in cyprus as they thought he had small pox there were photos later in a truck mag

I went to Tikrit with Taytran in the Iveco in Jan 1979, Turkey was very hairy at the time. No diesel at all.

One the way out we stopped at the place more or less opposite the Londra and I remember having a shower with luke warm water in the snow.

Each time we stopped a crowd of people with fuel cans came begging diesel. It got bit ugly at Biricik when having a meal break and we had to leave in a hurry. We more or less went through Turkey in one hit, almost the only TIR vehicle on the road and a few Tonkas. The Londra only had about 3 trucks in it… On the military road north of Syria a Tonka gave us a length of trailer and knocked the Iveco off the road. There was only a short drop of a couple of foot but a 100m on the drop was much deeper. It was very a lucky escape.

In 1980 the army took over and safety and Turkey improved daramatically.

Happy days!