Birmingham and black country firms

coomsey:

pete smith:

coomsey:
On to weighbridge hop out into the man, " How do drive" “not so bad” “good run up” “R nothing much about”, Scale needle to,ing n fro,ing comes to a halt 29t !.The man starts writing ticket, “hold up I come up with 30t” “well you,re 29t now” “hows that ?” “funny things happen out on the road you know” “well yes they do, but losing a ton of scrap ain,t one of em” looked down by chance, " your foots on weighbridge brake !" “bludy hell your right” foot off 30t"
Did another dozen or so loads weight always spot on. To the plot, I seem to think it were a scrap yard called Hudsons ? Def black country, red lorries or poss black with red trims. Anybody know it or is my memory going skew whiff ?

Hudson’s of Dudley,Canal Street, Brierley Hill, more or less next door to Round Oak steel works

Not gone daft then P. Much shennanigans with scrap, lots of ticket swaps n loads to yards then steel works. Used to go R Oaks regular, I were on scrap for a while, 1/3 Brum 2/3 Sheffield. Hudsons popped into my head for some reason. Never knew addresses to most, ticket would read Hudsons Brum or Browns Sheff, or the classic for me Smiths. Asked the weighbridge man, he said up north somewhere! call into Blue Boar n bound to meet tipper who knew.Did they run red or black n red motors ?

In 70s Hudsons were in Chapel St Netherton if I recall correctly they ran guy 8 leggers , late 70s I’m sure they had scania Arctic .