Portsmouth/Fareham Companies

Baldrick1953:
Hi Fergie…
I remember them , I worked for Martin Lyon for a while , after Abadan Services demise,
he started another outfit called Metrans , backed with Iranian money. He employed half a dozen drivers doing European work but not M/E.
We were based in Station Yard Fareham. A hotch potch of units including 2 ex P.I.E. DAFS.

At one time , we inadvertently supplied an MAN tractor unit that was used in a major drug import scam that ended with me being under surveillance by Special Branch :open_mouth: and subsequently the shooting of a Customs Officer in London…
I chronicled some of those events in Long Departed Soton Hauliers…

The last I heard of Martin Lyons was in the mid eighties he was a Director of Frigoscandia ,after that he seems to have gone off the radar… There is another LDD about his trucks doing Italy under the name of Satrans. Two brand new MACKs driven by John Canty and Gary Chowns…

Hope all good in La Belle France… Are you having Mappo for Christmas this year? Or Turkey again??

Cheers, Baldrick.

Thanks Richard and Baldrick, what a hive of info this forum is…sounds like Abadan was, like many others in the '70’s and '80’s a bit…errrrrrrrrrr, how can I say it, without being sued QC Evans ?. :blush:

All’s well here, in not so sunny Bretagne, waiting on all my Xmas dirt money from those people I’ve kept the negatives on, surprising what a lonely driver will do with a sheep… :wink:

Couldn’t eat a whole Mappo…too much, unless I invite the whole of Brittany !!..anyway, he’d be full of grissel , sinew , and fat, and wouldn’t fit in the oven… :unamused:

Take care
Fergie