Robert Baillie Transport,Portsmouth and Horndean

Speaking of palm couplings Ray, I encountered quite a number of trailers equipped with those things back in my early days and like yourself, had to carry a set of adapters in the cab. I also used to carry two different winding handles, one for each of the two types of trailer legs that I’d often come across. One with a hexagon head and another one with a bolt through it for the other type. Add to this a full set of trailer light and indicator lenses and bulbs, a wheelbrace, a short length of scaffolding pole, a bottle jack and handle, a gallon can of engine oil, several hundred yards of hessian rope, a few chains and stretchers and it’s a wonder there was any room left to get in the thing in order to drive it. And forget picking up hitchhikers.

With regard to the airlines with the on / off taps. I really don’t know why they abandoned that system. It was far easier to couple up without having to push against the air pressure as is the case with the modern system. It’s particularly difficult in confined spaces such as coupling up to a fridge. As most wagons have sleeper cabs these days, you’re having to work within the space of a foot or so in some instances.

My own technique of coupling to a reefer is to reverse close up to the trailer, engage the trailer brake, couple up the airlines, then back under the kingpin. I’m sure a lot of other drivers employ the same technique, although I’m aware that it’s frowned upon, in fact, a dismissible offence in certain quarters. The job hasn’t got that much easier over the years really, has it ?

Nothing to do with Robert Baillies I’m afraid Ray. Just reminiscing. Apologies.

Regards. Eddie.