Winters are not fun when you are a trucker

flat to the mat:
Winter can be nasty for sure , it’s knowing when to push on or pull the curtains . My lot would rather we get there than not and pay us to park if we feel it’s warranted , dispatch will never hassle us to move the load . I parked once last year running empty between Portage and Winnipeg because the truck was steering itself and my attempts were futile(worst piece of road in Canada IMHO) . Down to common sense , if you’re not comfortable park up before you become a hazard to yourself and others . Winter certainly has its moments from hell but it’s not bad all the way through , day after day .

This is spot on, I’m just starting my 10th winter here now and prob parked up for 5 or 6 days total in that time.
I’ve never chained up and never will, I was told by 2 old Canadian drivers with about 80 yrs exp between them, that if it’s bad enough to chain up, then park up, ■■■■ the company and load, it’s better to lose money than your truck and load and maybe your life.
That prairie in MB & SK is brutal for ice.
I’ve never gone over the Coquihalla in the winter, always went through the Fraser Valley and never got held up that way.