Favorite Routiers and other European Truckstops

I came back here for a different reason and spotted my last post re. Chez Jo’s.

The ‘new patrons’ are not so good these days and the place has gone a bit downhill. I’m talking about the service. I waited a full 5 minutes at the bar gasping for a beer on a hot day without the slightest hint of acknowledgement by the lip studded vision supposed to be serving. She wasn’t busy, just chatting to another driver, then she went to walk right past me until I had to say in a loud voice ‘pression stp’.

What made it worse was during this time the patronne, the blond who when she and her husband took over would always walk round the dining room greeting every single driver, now also chose to stand and ignore me.

I don’t know what is happening there, the taller of the 2 servers ( I never remember names, I think one is Pascal) seems to be doing the meeting and greeting while blondie does the serving, and not very well.

There is just one bright spot in all of this. Jo’s daughter still does the morning shift so breakfast is always a pleasure, being greeted by an immediate smile and handshake. :smiley:

Anyway, the reason I came here was because this week I went to Chambery and back. Overnighted after delivery at Mas Pommier just north of Pont d’Ain and was very impressed. Good food, good atmosphere, good company, good service.

On the way there and back I checked out the Bakehouse. It is still there, still the Auberge de St. Cyr, but no longer a routier I think. All the parking has now been prettified with neat little plant beds and car parking. I think you could park over the hill on the Macon side where the undeveloped shoulders still exist, but not really somewhere for wagons to stop anymore. :frowning: