US vs Canadian truck drivers

After 3.5 years trucking in Canada and now more than 3 years here in the States I would definitely not go back to Canada :unamused:
Here I feel more free than I’ve ever felt in Canada.
I always must laugh about the free health insurance in Canada as my wife had a very bad experience there. Ok, you don’t have to pay for it, but you get what you pay for. Long waiting times, treatment as in a third world country, no thanks!
Sure, it’s more expensive here, but it also depends on your company what insurance you get. I’ve found a job with a pretty good company, not perfect but better as every company before, Germany, Canada and US.
I only pay $58 ($44 till July) per week, my deductible is $500 and co-pay 20% till I reach 1500 (co-pay + deductible) per year.
When I need an appointment I call a doctor in the network (the network is great) and get one usually within days and don’t have to wait for weeks, months or years as in Canada.
I’m not getting rich here but I’m paid about the same as I had in Canada. Cost of living is much cheaper and there’s much more left at the end of the month.
I can choose if I want to live in the desert or in a cold area and don’t have to survive a 6 month cold winter :wink:

I had a job here running coast to coast, up to 3000 miles one way but was only home every 4-5 weeks. Now I run 3 weeks out (was my decision) and 4-7 days off, I have the truck at home, nobody else since I moved into the truck touched it (only our shop guys).
I have shorter and longer trips, I get paid detention for waiting times, layovers and make sometimes 10000 miles in three weeks.
My Volvo is equipped with an APU + a Webasto bunk heater for winter, I don’t have to idle but I can in an emergency if something fails.
With the APU I’ve never idled the truck, North Dakota -43 F with windchill, sitting over the weekend and the truck started without problems.

There are a lot of bad jobs here in the US as are in Canada, it’s YOU who has to find the good ones.
But I would say you have much more choices here in the US to find one.
I was out of the job due to a broken hand and thumb, got paid workers compensation for a few months but that’s it. In Germany you would get paid for 1.5 years, not here.
No country is perfect, but I like it here much better than in Europe.

What I miss is the good food you can get on the road in Europe, here it’s a pain in the ■■■ to find a decent restaurant. Truck stop food is awful (but still better as in every Husky in Canada) and it takes a while to find the better places.
Truck stops are loud and stinky, all the idling engines with their emissions are not really healthy. I try to avoid truck stops but it’s not always possible.
I’m running on elogs but still make up to 730 miles a day in good areas and I’m driving absolutely legal. There’s money to make as a company driver but as I said, you’re not getting rich.