US vs Canadian truck drivers

hkloss1:
Hi NMM

Would it be OK to ask you what kind of taxes OOs pay in Canada?
Do you guys need to deal with a forced despatch when leased to a company you are leased to?
As an OO leased to a certain company, are you allowed to move loads supplied by other haulage companies or private businesses or it is forbidden in your contract?
Are you being paid % or a set rate per mile?
I’ve just read an OTR driver can claim a meal allowance of Cad 17 every four hours from the time he starts his shift, is that true and is this being somehow reimbursed at the end of financial year by the tax man?
What are the costs of hotels around truck stops, I’ve noticed some drivers, OOs stay in hotels rather than their trucks, is that expensive?

A lot of questions again, but I thought since this board is so quiet, someone might be willing to have a go at some of them.

Taxes depend on profits, those depend on how much you spend to make your money and how good your accountant is. My first year taxes were $180, but I started part way through a tax year and put a substantial deposit on my truck, which all came off my taxable amount, last year it was just over $6,000. Again I put a big chunk down on truck number two, but I made a bit more money, so had to cough up more, at the rate it’s going this year I’ll be getting a refund as I’ve spent a bloody fortune in the last couple of months, mostly stuff I’ve budgeted for that is part of the cost of doing business, but some unexpected stuff too, which is only to be expected in transport!

There is no forced dispatch at my carrier, I go out when I want to and can refuse loads when I’m out on the road, however there needs to be a good reason to refuse a load, if not and you still refuse it, you will end up ■■■■■■■ them off and suffer the consequences of that and no matter what anybody says, if you ■■■■ off dispatch there will be consequences. The key here is to not be a Prima Donna, take what you’re given and get on with it, if you don’t like the work you get, move on.

I am leased to a carrier, which translates as running on their o licence and insurance, therefore I am only allowed to work for them, to take other loads I would need to have my own operating authority and insurance.

Personally I get paid by the mile for the line haul, hourly pay when I’m doing local deliveries, I get paid to split and hook up the turnpikes and bonuses for compliance, running in the carrier’s colours and a mileage bonus. There’s also an annual profit share bonus. Others that I know are on percentage, that is usually around 80% of the gross pulling their trailers, up to 90% pulling your own, but not all companies allow you to pull your own trailer. Percentage pays better in a lot of cases, but you have to have a good dispatcher who knows how to negotiate a good rate and keep empty running to a minimum.

You are allowed to claim three meals a day at $17 each, this is a per diem allowance and there is no need to produce receipts, you can claim this for every day you are subject to Hours Of Service regulations. Some companies pay this direct to the driver, most do not and the driver claims for reimbursement at the end of the tax year, if the PAYE has been done properly and your deductions cover your tax liability then you get a nice fat cheque off the taxman, most drivers will be around the five grand mark, so in essence it’s like a deffered night out payment of $20 a night.

Hotel prices depend where you are, I’ve stayed in them plenty of times when I wanted to get out of the truck for a night when I’ve been out for a while, these are also tax deductible and if you can get one reasonably priced it works out about the same as it would to idle the truck for the time you spend there if you check in as soon as they allow and check out as late as possible.

Sent from my SM-T805W using Tapatalk