US vs Canadian truck drivers

hkloss1:
OK, so after spending some time watching us/Canadian truckers videos on YouTube, I’m coming to a conclusion that actually US truck drivers have it better.
I know Pat and some others here might disagree, but here is my reasoning:

1. Larger country, bigger population density, larger population meaning more companies to deal with, more opportunities to find loads that take you back home sooner, I’m talking here mostly of OOs, but this also applies to company drivers, although they are more at a mercy of their despatchers.
    As Nmm says, this usually just means they jump about doing silly short runs with huge amounts of pratting about at each leg, covering what distance I usually would in 2 and a half or 3 weeks in 4.
  2. No need to go across the border to Canada, as there is plenty to do in the US alone, when in Canada, an over the road driver will have his options limited if he’s not able for some reason to cross the border.
    So, if you don"t have to cross the border you don’t have to waste time, sometimes many hours to have your load and documents checked, for which you get paid as OO or paid very little as a company driver.
    Crossing the border is generally very painless, especially at the smaller crossings, out of New Brunswick for example where I’m often the only truck there, or at worst there’ll be 5 or 6 and you’re across in anything from 20 seconds to 10 minutes if theres a few in front of you.
  3. So many Canadian drivers complain about Canadian weather conditions saying if they could only live south of the border… Weather wise, say Florida, California.
    California can be ■■■■■ in the winter, especially coming from the east over the Donner Pass, its miles and miles of endless snow chaining. Florida is fine, especially coming from Canada as its the best part of 3 days each way, so a guaranteed 3 days driving because we have to go back to Canada, we’re not allowed to waste our time doing crap stuff 4 or 5 hundred miles down the road only to spend 6 hours loading, 3 hours waiting to be given the next load, followed by another 5 hours to load.
  4. There are some very well paying jobs in the US if you are determined to find one and willing to relocate to where these jobs are.
    Same with any country, Canada included. But don’t forget that better pay is only better pay if it doesn’t all go down the pan with living costs incurred with moving to said location. Ie moving to London wouldn’t be a good financial move if you’re only on a few pounds an hour more but your mortgage or rent far exceeds the extra income you make.
  5. Health care, not sure how exactly it works in the US, being private health system, but I gather as long as you pay your yearly contributions you get a very good quality health care, without the need to wait for treatments as it is in Canada or even the UK.
    Yes, unless you pass your coverage cap or get seriously sick and get kicked off the companies plan. Pat Hasler will tell you of people he knows in the US who’ve been diagnosed with cancer and a month later their health insurance has been cancelled and they’re left to die with no way of ever affording their own treatment and medication.
  6. It seems to me US drivers stay out many weeks at a time on the road, or even months, but I guess if Canadians can be home more often then their US counterparts, the same could be done for US drivers especialy if they are OOs, and able to plan their work and home time more efficiently.
    All depends on the company and how they operate. I prefer being in Canada and doing things on a round trip basis, take a load out, bring one back and then go home for a couple of days. Not endless bumming around which almost always ends up earning you less money due to the unpaid times of tipping, loading and waiting for orders etc. A 3000km outward trip, followed by a 3000km return trip is far better than what most Americans are doing.
  7. Everything is cheaper in the US, and they are getting paid in a stronger currency, probably, roughly the same cents per mile as Canadian drivers.
    Its all relative, I live in Canada, get paid in Canadian dollars and as such spend most of my money in Canada. The current exchange rate means that I generally spend FA in the US unless its on small inexpensive things but who cares, I just take the vast majority of my food with me, which is quite easy as I’m generally home every weekend anyway.
  8. Canadians can only reload in the US, can not deliver within the US, which limits their earnings potential.
    It greatly increases my earning potential. However far in to the US I go, I’m guaranteed to have to come back again and as we’re on mileage pay, all I’m bothered about is doing as many miles as possible within as short a space of time, ie making cost efficient use of my time.

Fell free to take it all apart.

Cheers