US vs Canadian truck drivers

I’m not going to start a willy waving contest about money, but in answer to your question, yes there is decent money to be made as an owner operator. There is also a lot of money to be spent as well though, this year I had a starter issue that was intermittent and it ended up costing me three grand, I had a couple of grand ’ worth of A/C repairs on both recently and I’ve just this week put two new Michelins on the front of the one with a driver and this morning I got a phone call saying a bolt seal had gone through one of them, so there’s another $500 I may have well set fire to!

I bought one truck brand new, it’s a Volvo VNL670, Volvo D13 @455hp with I shift, the other one, which I drive I bought used, it was a year old, it’s a Volvo VNL730, D13 @500hp with a 13spd Fuller. The 730 is a mid roof cab with a roof fairing which can be removed if I ever need to move companies and pull grain hoppers, tankers or completely lose the plot and go on flatbed, this was the main reason I went for the mid roof cab, it gives me a lot more flexibility.

Sent from my SM-T805W using Tapatalk