US vs Canadian truck drivers

hkloss1:
“The bloke that drives my other truck”
Hi NMM

Are you an owner operator, or am I confusing things, as you said this: “The bloke that drives my other truck” in your last post?
So, things are not looking rosy for those wanting to be home every night and be paid hourly, then? At least not in Manitoba.
Alberta might be a better place for good hourly paying jobs, but I guess since oil prices collapsed things are not looking good there neither, as all those made unemployed in the oil patch drive south looking for jobs in Edmonton and Calgary.

Is there anything else worth mentioning about Alberta industry wise apart from oil extraction and related services?

Most of the oil patch guys live in the Edmonton and Calgary region , they fly/drive North for their shifts . Something worth a mention regards the patch is Suncorp , one of the biggest players . When the prices fell they told staff there would be no lay offs , there haven’t been . During the fire at Fort Mac ,camps were opened to any and everybody needing food and shelter , workers were paid full salary whether working or not , plus a cash handout of $2500 repayable at the end of 2017 to help with immediate costs , well done Suncorp .
There are decent paying city jobs but it’s all own account stuff , dead mans shoes etc , no money to be made dragging empty van trailers from one loading dock to another