Conway Bailey Transport

Hi all as can be seen Im new here but have a question to ask regarding the firm above which is basically what are they like to work for? as Ive got my C+E in a couple of weeks time and have been offered a job with said firm.
Will try to keep you all posted as to how I get on with test.

Many thanks

Darren.

Hi Darren

I Have not actually worked for Conway Bailey, but did work for their sister firm R+R Transport (Owned by Mark Bailey)

I Found Mark to be firm but fair, however you will be running maximum hours, out 5 nights a week (not good if you have a family)
You will also be “weekended” a fair bit as they run a trailer up to you at Gordano and turn you around.
Parking will be layby’s and industrial estates because they do not pay parking AFAIAA.

The kit does seem to be top notch and well looked after (although they do have several twingo’s :frowning: ) to the point that they have at least 1 Daf SSC Alpine (the one with all the toys)

They do like their “pound of flesh” and will expect you to “crack on”.
I gather it is paid “trip money” rather than hourly although I am not certain.

If you fancy european work I gather they do go over the water a bit as well.

Good luck if you go for it, however I found it was not for me!!

i myself passed my test at 11.45 on the 12th of december and was driving for baileys at 1.30 of the same day !! they are a good bunch of lads and give good encouragement to new people .dont listen to people that knock them as most have not worked for them i have done a few trips for them and had no qualms with them . the secret is to decline any offer to break the rules . but in all fairness they have warned me that they will not tolerate people breaking the rules . on a recent trip to marshalls at butterwick (boston ) lee rang me asking where i was i told him i was tired as i could not sleep because of the fridge he told me to park in services and drop the trailer and have a sleep and dont worry about what time i got back the next day as i was only backloading pallets and crates . give them a go they are a truly proffessional company that i can only give praise to

I hope you don’t think I was “running the company down” because that was not the intention.

As I stated my experience was limited to R+R (the sister company)
They did a lot of flatbed work which I didn’t get on with too well. I actually enjoyed the fridge and curtainsider work there although there wasn’t a lot of that compared to the flatbed work. (which involved a lot of blindsiding on muddy building sites)

I wish (with hindsite) that I had got on with Conway Bailey because it is mostly Fridge work. I agree with Matt that the guys are a friendly and helpfull bunch, especially the lad that helped me out when I got into a right mess at willand.

Now I have a 4 month old daughter I wouldn’t be keen on being away all week or more, however needs must and if the bus job doesn’t come off I may be going down that road again.

Although R+R didn’t work out, I would still say that Mark was one of the best bosses I had. Firm but Fair

Let us know how you get on.

Semtex:
I hope you don’t think I was “running the company down” because that was not the intention.

As I stated my experience was limited to R+R (the sister company)
They did a lot of flatbed work which I didn’t get on with too well. I actually enjoyed the fridge and curtainsider work there although there wasn’t a lot of that compared to the flatbed work. (which involved a lot of blindsiding on muddy building sites)

I wish (with hindsite) that I had got on with Conway Bailey because it is mostly Fridge work. I agree with Matt that the guys are a friendly and helpfull bunch, especially the lad that helped me out when I got into a right mess at willand.

Now I have a 4 month old daughter I wouldn’t be keen on being away all week or more, however needs must and if the bus job doesn’t come off I may be going down that road again.

Although R+R didn’t work out, I would still say that Mark was one of the best bosses I had. Firm but Fair

Let us know how you get on.

not saying you were but when i was putting my feelers out that is what i was told i agree with you about mark he is a good bloke .
i did a changeover at gordano last week and got back at 1.45 ish and if the office is shut then you leave the keys in the old mans front room he is in his seventys and still drives . anyway i get back fuel up and park up and go to put the keys in and the old man and mrs bailey are still up and as it was really wet and windy i was drowned . they asked me in and made me have a cup of coffee and several pieces of cake . how many bosses would do that nowadays !!

I know what you mean, I had everybody and their dog running them down when I put feelers out. I actually pm’d Craig Shear from T&D (Can’t remember his username off the top of my head) and got a very good response back.

Do you know if they are still looking for drivers?, something like you are doing (ie locals and trailer swaps) because as I said, with a 4 month old I don’t really want to go tramping at the moment, maybe when littl’un is a bit older.

Wouldn’t mind maybe a couple of nights out

Cheers
Stuart