My C+E training diary

Tricky 21 Jan:
I’m keeping an eye this! Really good write up simcor!

I start my C+E training on Tuesday next week! I’ve only done 3 driving shifts since passing my class 2 last month. That and a couple reverse manoeuvres, yard driving and coupling and uncoupling in my work! Not done as much practice as I wanted! Doesn’t help when the yard is getting ripped up just now either!

Least you have the experience of shunting which must be a great help?

Look forward to seeing your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck with it pal, take your time and ask anything you think is relevant even if you think it is a stupid question. Listen to what your instructor says most of them know what they are doing and they should be honest with you.

I have said it all along and Nick has agreed with me the shunting time I have done has really helped me a lot, after a few goes on reverse he was happy with it enough to get me out learning the test routes, as he said the more time getting that right is less time on the roads.

Reversing them is actually a doddle to be honest, they are massive it’s not like like trying to reverse a small trailer, I have a small trailer and I can’t reverse that thing hardly at all, it turns on a six pence lol once you learn how much steering input moves it and where the trailer is going it’s easy enough in a large trailer.

Take it easy when doing tight turns and use those mirrors I can’t emphasise that enough, literally every few seconds, every time you pass a side road, every time you pass pedestrians, bus stop the lot, if you have not got neck ache from checking your mirrors your not checking them enough lol Road positions also important especially on narrow roads just don’t smash the nearside mirror on street furniture.

Nick has taught this week to get your road position early enough to give oncoming traffic warning you need the room you do, they will move out the way, not barging your way through and be prepared to stop if need be but they mostly will move to give you the room you need, keep that speed steady in busy areas and when passing parked cars etc not too fast but not too slow either.