My C+E training diary

Day 2.

Uggh an early start today, had to be up at 630am, I don’t like mornings at all.

Got to the centre with plenty of time to spare.

Out to the truck and some reverse practises again, getting better with the odd falter still. A few more goes and it is soon time to hit the road again. Practised uncouple/couple a couple of times too. When you have connected up, don’t forget to ask the Examiner to please check your rear lights for you.

Off we go out into the big wide world again for the second time, this time though it’s 8am and it’s not quite the pleasant experience it was yesterday, kids and pedestrians galore the worst thing you need around a truck. So it’s a lot of mirror usage today and being prepared for the unexpected to happen. Checking the left mirror every time we pass a pedestrian or parked cars.

Making sure we use the road where I need it when overtaking parked cars and giving enough early warning of the road we need to oncoming vehicles, not bullying them but gently persuading them to give us some room, again had quite a few very nice people who stopped and let me through, watching that speed in 20mph zones and tight areas and when overtaking, hanging back and using the right hand indicator to request drivers to give us time to move off safely.

Nick commented that my use of mirrors was much better today, a couple of times I did forget my right shoulder check when moving off and again a couple of comments on keep using those mirrors. I don’t remember him saying anything about following distances or approach speeds or stopping with enough room between me and the vehicle in front today.

Some more tight turns again today, some where we take the middle of both lanes to make the room we need to get round, others where Nick confidently states left lane no problem. A couple of times I was like really? As Nick said though perfectly doable It is all about looking ahead and seeing what road you need to complete the turn and making the decision as to how much road you need.

Some turns where we go quite a way forward before we start to turn using all the road space we have available, making sure we have enough room to get those rear axles round the corner without kerbing it, also using those mirrors a lot whilst turning and watching the swing of the front of the trailer on railings and street furniture. Using those wide angle mirrors to get a view of where the back axles are when they disappear out of view in the main mirrors.

I did make a really silly mistake today, coming up to a mini roundabout, I could have sworn the car was indicating left so went on and the car was indicating right, that would more than likely have cost me a fail. But hey I am only human odd mistakes are allowed as long as they are not on test day. Anyway learn from it and don’t do it again.

Took a right turn at a t junction where we needed to be up to the line and get a left kink on the truck to be able to see left for oncoming vehicles again no major problem, just make sure you read the road ahead and have what you need to be able to complete the turn.

Stopped for a brew and a sneaky sausage cob today lush lol

More driving of much the same around Shirebrook and surrounding areas, tight lane time again and some NSL etc etc. Started to rain as I expected around half 9 but not too bad so just watching that speed in areas required.

Back to the test centre a little early, so we will do a couple more reverse practises, first one good enough, second time too close to the post on the NS, spent too much time watching the post and looking at the floor markings, whoops there goes the boards at the back of the parking area onto the floor. Nick shouted Whoa in plenty of time I just did not react as I was too engrossed in watching that pole, I should have took a shunt forward to get my position right and that would have been a minor mark, sadly the second thing today that would have cost me my test. Give us a hand standing the poles and boards back up please says Nick, no problem.

That’s is for the day, like I say two daft mistakes which I am sure I won’t make the same mistake twice.

So yeah i expected to be a little worse today on a few things and expected to be better on a few things, progression is the key.

Day 3 tomorrow and hopefully a better day tomorrow, let’s hope it stays dry please lol