Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

jsutherland:
Completely agree with you Fergie. Cost me a lot for film and then developing them afterwards.

Sent from my Hol-U19 using Tapatalk

Brother Andy was more interested than me and took more overland photos. While I was doing internals in Saudi, he gave me a camera. It looked complicated to me and unfortunately I wasn’t interested. I did take some photos with it, including this Sealand / Cresent wreck near Riyadh.

And also this bus in a quarry, near Dhahran. I took a few photos of this. When I showed them round, everyone took a sharp intake of breath. There was apparently a Saudi military gun emplacement above the quarry. If they’d seen me taking photos I would have gone to prison.

I would say that these were the highlights of my photographic career. The next film jammed in the camera, I pulled the film out and of course ruined it. I left the camera in the villa and that was the end of that. It wasn’t the cost, I just couldn’t be bothered! 40 years later, I am kicking myself for not persevering, but also not keeping a diary! I have lots of memories of those days, but of course nothing like as comprehensive as M. Saviem!

Oh to have had a camera that you took out of your top pocket, pointed, and captured the moment!

John