Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Saudi was a curious environment. As truck drivers we saw the restaurants, like ‘The Mirrors’. Such a huge disappointment after all the build up - on the Tapline at the crossroads of the ancient camel and Haj trails from Kuwait to Riyadh. I had heard so much about it that I couldn’t believe what a dump it really was! Mirrors on all the walls… Yes, but never cleaned and the reflections had a sepia quality. This was where I saw an Arab take a toothpick form the container on the table, use it comprehensively…and return it to the container!

Still the chicken and rice (nus djaj wa ruz, minfudlak - one of my earliest learnt Arabic phrases) tasted good - as long as you had a cast iron stomach. John Longhorn’s brother in law (BAE Pilot I think) living on the BAE camp in Khobar, joined John for a trip to Riyadh. We had our usual breakfast at about 10 am at Hofuf corner, of lamb stew and pasta (we’d been up since 5.00, honest, it was good!) John dropped off the back and I met him on the way back. He was having to stop every 10 miles or so for brother in law to ‘get out and get under’.

Another curious culinary experience was to deliver to a Swiss camp, somewhere in the middle of nowhere in northern Saudi. I was with Ginger McNeill and he was rubbing his hands together. We were given rooms with air conditioning and lovely beds. ‘What do you reckon? Steak, chips? Got to be good!’

The first course was a sort of Muesli. Ginger and I didn’t take too much, saving ourselves for the main meal. The Swiss seemed to be tucking in. We realised why when there was no main course! That was it!

But total joy was to deliver to an American camp. A glutton’s paradise! Anything you wanted and as much as you could eat and drink (nothing alcoholic of course!)

In fact, they were obviously used to other nationality’s reaction to their way of doing things. There were signs up, which I’m sure weren’t necessary in the USA.

‘Please only put on your plate what you are sure you can eat - you are welcome to return for further helpings’

There were steaks and salads and potatoes and vegetables in quantities to defy greed. And then you could go back for pud!

I also have to say that American coffee could be drunk black from the urn without sugar and still taste delicious!

Thanks M. Saviem, you have reminded me of happy days!

John.