Forgot to renew UK LGV after emigrating to Florida for 2 yrs

Hi,
I emigrated to Florida in December 2013.I only realised recently that my UK LGV licence expired in August 2015.I thought at the time I had informed DVLA of my new address but now I’m not so sure as I got no reminder.Iv had to deal with so much stuff since moving to Florida that I completely forgot to renew it and get my medical as I turned 45 last year.
I suppose I will phone DVLA and ask someone there if I can still renew and do my medical from Florida.I may never use my LGV again but I do want to keep it going just in case.
Has anyone else did this?Just wondering if they will overlook my stupidity as I have my equivalent LGV licence over here and have been driving tractor trailers here.

Ok then, I currently live in Connecticut and know from the past that you cannot renew it with an overseas address. It can only be renewed from a UK address.

As Jarvy said it’s doubtful if they’ll renew/issue a UK licence to a non UK address.But it’s just the test pass record that matters for any time that you’re in a position where you need to renew it at any time in the future.IE your ‘entitlement’ never stops which is/should be held on file by the DVLA.

As said above, you’ve got nothing to worry about, you’ll never loose your licence as such. Whenever you do return to the UK, be it next week or in 15 years from now you’ll simply do your medical, provide new photos and whatever the nonsense CPC thing requires and it’ll be re-issued to you without any fuss.

That’s good to know.Thanks for replying guys.

Forgot to say that we did move back to the UK for 18 months and I renewed my class 1 as has been said it was on record at the DVLA. Also did my driver CPC but we moved back to the US before I used it but its all still on file at the DVLA.

I was told by DLVA in Swansea that I can renew mine anytime if I ever choose to become a UK resident again, can’t do it without a UK address though and as I don’t want a UK tax bill I ain’t going to do that.

I moved to Denmark 13 years ago and changed my UK licence to a Danish licence as the UK licence is only valid here for one year.

My first question is how long is a UK licence valid in the USA

Last week I saw my truck licences had expired in 2013.

I have had my medical and took the papers and a stamped photo and my driving licence to my local authority and it is now being renewed.

Now for the CPC.

UK car licence is valid for one year. You must take your US test if you indeed to stay in the US. LGV not valid at all so you must do you test in the US.

Jarvy:
UK car licence is valid for one year. You must take your US test if you indeed to stay in the US. LGV not valid at all so you must do you test in the US.

It varies from state to state actually, in NY state it is only valid for 3 months.

Maybe I should rephrase that to say in Connecticut! Just looked at the NY DMV site and it goes on about 30 days to get a local licence! When we moved to NYC from Connecticut in 2011 it took us 3 hours just to swap over our CT to NY licence and that was on a quiet day.