Areas to find work in Normandy

Wow Franglais that is so useful - thank you! That’s a post I’ll be coming back to read and reread as there’s so much useful stuff in there. Having that explanation of how the housing market works fills in a lot of blank spaces for me as I’d wondered why it was as it was. I like the sound of it and I think it will suit me well as someone who’s missed the housing ladder here and wants to go somewhere with less market madness. Your info on the HGV market, unions, immigration etc is also great to have as I really have very little idea what the industry is like out there. I didn’t know about the no PAYE thing either.

One of my biggest questions is about location. The lower prices houses in more rural areas vs higher prices house nearer the towns. Is it just a case of looking at a map of ports and motorways to work out where the industrial corridors are? On the other hand, if by that point I am mortgage/rent free I’ll be able to pick up local delivery work so long as I’m not well and truly in the middle of nowhere.

It would be interesting to hear a bit about your story and what took you there and how you fared but I recognise this is a public forum so I totally understand if you’d rather not!