Canadian companys hiring Brits?

I know a bloke that has just started with Agritel, it’s only somewhere I would recommend as a last resort to be honest. They don’t pay you during training, which was part of the deal under the old LMO scheme, maybe it’s different under LMIA? They also pay a “training” wage once you’re out on the road after passing the tests, for the first few months at least.

The work they do involves a lot of hanging around too, so in order to get a good living you’re going to be spending a lot of time sitting in a truckstop, if you combine that with reasonable time off at home, then you will not earn much money at all, it’s something a single bloke could suffer if they didn’t mind foregoing the home time part though.

On the plus side they run good plant, the work is clean and the runs guarantee good miles while the wheels are turning, so there is a silver lining, however it surrounds a ■■■■■■■■■ cloud.

For a UK driver it will be a huge shock to the system and I’m not so sure many could handle it. As Jimmy said, the Brits have a bit of a reputation for wanting Monday to Friday gigs and they are notorious for whinging and whining when things don’t go the way they’re used to, or want them to go.

At present the situation is not good, to get an LMIA means working for one of the less desirable companies, the opportunity to move around once you’re here is almost non existent now, so basically you’re trapped, not just in a job you don’t like, but also in a place that wouldn’t be your first choice to live, as you need to live in a reasonable proximity to work, especially as money will be tight and you may not have the luxury of running two cars. Your wife and older kids will be unable to work until PNP is granted, so that increases the financial burden and forces you to use the time you spend waiting for loads as your time off. This means your family will be marooned with nothing to do.

I think the best way to do it is to come over on your own, do what you have to do to make it work, then get nominated on PNP asap and then think about selling up in the UK and bringing the family over, don’t buy anything like a house or a decent car until you get PR and then move to somewhere you want to settle for the long term.

That’s a very difficult journey to embark on and it means living in limbo for at least three years, but in my mind it’s the best route to take.