Electronic logs

Pat Hasler:
Obviously when I wanted to use an 8 hour sleeper break yesterday it didn’t work well for me, I had used too many hours before going into sleeper mode, after 8 hours I checked and I only gained 1 hour and 45 minutes, not worth it so I stayed for the full 10.

The 8 hr break only extends your 14, if you have used 9:15 driving time you will only have left 1:45 after the break. Same with total hours, if you used 13 you will only have left 1 hour on duty time. If you can fit in a 2 hr break first, your new starting point for the new 14 would be at the end of your 2 hr break after you take the 8 hr.
I always try to get a 2 hr at a shipper or receiver (if it takes a bit longer) so I can use the 8 hr break if it’s necessary. The 2 hr break must not be on sleeper, it can also be off duty, but the 8 hr break must be logged as sleeper.
Sometimes it helps to be at a customer on time, with a 10 I would be late. Used the split sleeper berth provision now several times and I love it with the e-log :smiley: