How do become an owner driver

I am looking to buy a Volvo fh12 tractor unit as I would like to become an owner operator, I have already enquired on the cpc course, so I would like some useful info on what type of insurance quotes to enquire on for haulage, the general running costs of becoming an owner driver and also any other info or hints and tips
much appreciated claire :smiley:

Claire,

It sounds like you have a lot to learn!

You will find doing the CPC will answer many of your questions. You can go on a course or do homestudy coarse or even just read a book about it and do the exam.

If the last option is the one you find most appealing (and it is certainly the cheapest), Iā€™d recomend these titles:

A Study Manual of Professional Competence in Road Haulage

The Certificate of Professional Competence

Both by David Lowe and published by Kogan Page.

I did my CPC this way (some years ago) and passed. From what I remember they are very well written unlike some of the ā€œcorrespondent courseā€ stuff Iā€™ve seen since which costs an arm and a leg!

Link: kogan-page.co.uk/asp/booklist.asp

Hope this gets you startedā€¦and good luck!
[/url]

I did my CPC by home study and have just done by upgrade to CPC international via Learn Direct on line - it was good and the feedback was excellent - if was free when I signed up but not sure of the cost now.