Electronic logs

russjp:
Ok I think I’m getting this now lol, started at 4pm yesterday parked at 2330 and took 8 off so it’s now reset my 14 hours, so if I work continuously till my time is up it won’t reset till I’ve had 10 off. If I park up for 8 with time left it will only show the balance left so I take the other 2 hours before it resets to 14 again ?

Canadian rules allow for more circumstances where less than 10 hours off can be taken. In Canada you could start work at 6am and drive 13 hours straight, park up at 7pm or whatever and still have 8 hours off by deferring two hours that are then added on to the next rest period. I’ve only used this rule once or twice in almost 7 years and I was always under the impression that the deferred two hours had to be added on to a 10 hour rest period the next night, making it 12 hours but others have told me otherwise and I don’t know the definitive answer, I’ve only ever used it on the night before getting home so my next rest period was always a 36 or more hours reset.

My above scenario with Pat is strictly talking about US regs and the 2+8 rule which resets the 14 hour window, though there is always a requirement to have 10 hours off in ANY rolling 24 hour period, which is where it vastly differs from Canada. It also differs from Canada in that it has to be a block period of two hours, whereas in Canada you can have 4 periods of 30 minutes or any combination you like totaling two hours so long as each segment is 30 minutes or more. In those cases where you’ve got two hours off during the shift, you can have 8 hours off that night without deferring anything and that resets the clock so start again the next day without having to take any time off to keep up with a rolling 24 hour period like in the US. In Canada its a mid night to midnight reference period, in the US it isn’t, its a continuously rolling period of 24 hours where at any one time you must be able to show 10 hours off in the 24 hours directly preceding the moment of which you are currently at, either as a full 10 hours or an 2+8 so long as the 2 is paid back within 24 hours on the next chart so maintain 10 hours in any 24 hour period.

I’m sorry I’m not explaining this better and there is going to be more to the Canadian rules that I’m missing out or don’t even know about as I never use it so I’m sure Newmercman will clarify all that stuff much better than I’m able to.