Electronic logs

Pat Hasler:
I never could figure it out either mate, but it does override that rule, you can stop after so many hours, take an 8 hour sleeper break and carry on even though 14 hours may have passed since starting work, it then gives you however many hours you had before the break started to carry on until the next 2 hour break is needed, take the 2 hours then you get a load more hours available, you don’t have to work out anything because the computer does it all for you, it’s all legal and you can keep doing it all week long.
It works by taking the 8 hour break first.

Thats all simple stuff Pat, its not overriding the 14 hour rule, its starting a new one. If you’ve had two hours off during the day that is logged as a continuous block on off duty/sleeper berth and then when you stop for the night, within your 14 hour window and have 8 hours off, it resets the 14 hour window clock because 2+8 is 10 hours off and to comply with having 10 hours off in ANY 24hr period you have to stop in the next shift at or before the same time as the day before you had the 2 hours off, if you don’t and carry on then you’ll have had less than 10 hours off in a rolling 24 hour period. I do this on a paper log book quite a lot, especially when parking early at a crap hole like Vince Lombardi when I’m heading north to Canada and traffic the day before is dire and I’ve had a two hour break later in the day meaning I can make the border without needing to take the extra two, or if I can’t make the border I just stop in Maine and jump in the bunk for two hours.
Its still a 14 hour window though, no getting around that in the US as far as driving is concerned, though like I said, perfectly legal to stay on duty after 14 hours, just not allowed to drive.