Electronic logs

Been on elogs for 6 years now, at first I hated them, now I love them, then again we get paid very well compared to most and the CPM system doesn’t really have any effect. I have seen posts from drivers I know on Facebook who say they ‘Ain’t gonna do it’ and I give them the same answer, “Then get another job because you have no choice but to use them, if you have to break the law to earn a living you are in the wrong job”
That doesn’t go down very well but it’s true. My first company ‘St Ann Transportation’ changed to elogs about 5 years ago and actually asked me to help some of their drivers understand them, they are a small family run company but had set up a deal whereby if the drivers couldn’t get back in the same day and missed a run next day they compensated them with $150.00 for the lost day, which is a good deal for such a small firm. There are as always little cheats here and there, all these idiots who tell tales of trucks stopping when the hours run out are just ridiculous, when the time is up and you are stuck in traffic or otherwise you just carry on and when you eventually do stop you make a note in the ‘remarks / comments’ section. If you are stuck somewhere other than a truckstop and need food etc you can log out completely and run bobtail for services, if you have finished for the day and are not too far from home you are permitted to drop the trailer, log out and drive home but you must log back in when leaving your home next day of duty.
I agree that cpm is stupid and each and every driver should be on hourly pay. I know an English guy who drives for Cowans out of Baltimore and they have actually switched to hourly pay because of elogs, maybe others will follow ?