Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR

dieseldave:

MrFlibble:
It’s possible, though, that they may go for an IBC/portable tank carried on a plant trailer (and therefore a “package”?) - something like this: jerrycans.co.uk/cemo-dt-mobi … -449-p.asp .

It will be towed behind either a Transit-size van or a pickup.

I’ve had a look at the item shown in your link, but I’m not seeing anything (at first sight) that suggests it’s ok to use it for the purpose you’ve mentioned, so maybe it might come with the paperwork?

That’s because it’s cunningly hidden where you can’t see it :slight_smile:

If you go to that link, then click on the “Large Portable Fuel Tanks” link on the left-hand margin menu, it gives you a list of a number of different tanks they supply, and under the shortened description for that tank, it says “Approved for transport under ADR”. Unless their website is lying (which is always possible :unamused: ), I’m assuming that it’s usable for transporting diesel under ADR :wink:

Here’s another example of a similar thing from another supplier:
fueltankshop.co.uk/transport … r_approved

dieseldave:

MrFlibble:
Also, I realise that they’ll still require the 2 kg fire extinguisher plus (recorded) training etc.

Correct! :smiley:

You see, we do listen to you (sometimes) :wink:

dieseldave:

MrFlibble:
What is the lower limit where this comes into effect? How much UN1202 do you have to be carrying before you start to come under the “reduced” ADR requirements? I had assumed that a single jerrycan would be exempt, but doing a bit of research, LQ appears to be 5 litres, so if someone were carrying a single 20 l metal jerrycan (non-private use), are they still coming under ADR (albeit a “small load”)?

Your research has led you to the correct answer. :smiley:

Thanks. I think they might be a bit surprised to learn that a single 20 l jerrycan puts them under (small load) ADR…

dieseldave:
There are different kinds of tank, so my best advice is to stick with the above, whilst remembering that the yellow thing in the bottom pic is NOT a tank. :wink:

I’d assumed (by reading between the lines of your previous answers) that if it were permanently fixed to the chassis, that made it a tank. Perhaps because it looks like it’s bolted down (and therefore technically removable if you undo the bolts?) I guess I don’t really need to know what defines the difference between a tank and a package, but curiosity gets the better of me :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help :slight_smile: