Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Fergie47:
Questions…to the “Professors”…

When an engine is " built under licence" for instance, like Bernard did with the Gardner, who actually built it, an engine manufacturer, or, in this case Bernard themselves…and what exactly did they manufacture, the engine, (block, heads, crank, pistons bell housing, sump etc) less all the ancillaries, or did that include the fuel pump…I’m guessing the starter, dynamo, injectors were “off the shelf” standard stuff, I.e. Lucas…but, just who built, and exactly what was " built under licence"… :question: :question: :question:

Merci

Hello all,

Just a quick one,

Fergie, Buzzer has defined licence building exactly.

I had forgotten about Mike Ponsonby`s piece in Big Lorry Blog…further along he gave a very detailed exposition on the 185 hp Bernard engine , based on the Gardner licence. Really worth looking up. Mike knows his stuff with lorries! He did an excellent piece on Meadows diesels as well.

Edouard Bernard engineered his Gardner licence built engines to suit the French market, (rather more than did Latil). It was a true manufacturing operation, the cylinder blocks came from the foundry at Arcuil to be machined. They had their own in house heat treatment, machine shops, et al. Bernards engines were Bernard, based upon the licence from Gardner, as were his neighbour Louis Willeme`s 4, 6, & 8 cylinder straight engines, Willeme manufactured, and based on a Deutz design licence.

In many ways Bernards engines were more forward than those from Patricroft, I would hope that Michel would have some pictures to show, but if not I can drone on boringly about my beloved Bernards…and they sounded pure Gardner…until Mack arrived!

Cheerio for now.