Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Hi Saviem,
Question for you! Who would have operated a Saurer in the Wolverhampton area? Only asking because I can remember my Dad mentioning one to me saying how well engineered it was and the engine ran like a sewing machine, think it may have been a 6 or 8 wheeler, firms he worked for before Millers was C+L Transport Ettingshall,Pallants Wednesfield,George and Matthews on Bilston Road and Amber Oils in Lincoln Street ( where I am based now!) He would have been 93 now, Cheer’s Pete
[/quote]
Morning Pete,

Now that’s an interesting question. Your Dad would have been talking about the “Worlds biggest lorry” of the 1930s, the Armstrong Saurer double drive 8x4. Im inclined to think that one was operated by AT Hartshorne, (later to become the Hartshorne Volvo Dealer), and/or Boults Motors. The latter is now just the Seat Dealership in Newhampton Road West, Whitmore Reans, but back in the 30s was a nationally based transport contractor. Their history is fascinating, they ran over 100 vehicles all over the UK, and were one of the first to run “inter depot” traffic. They were also heavily involved in property development. Many of their trunk vehicles were Scammell Rigid 8s.

Armstrong Saurer commenced manufacture of lorries in 1930, in Newcastle on Tyne. Although badged Armstrong Saurer, the design was Suisse, Armstrong, (Sir W.G Armstrong), providing finance and works facility. The Samson 8x4 was introduced in 1934 as a 22 ton gross lorry,it had brakes on all 8 wheels, unusual for the `30s, and a 6 cylinder 95hp engine and an overdrive gearbox of 5 speeds.

Beckett Brothers, ofFenton, Stoke on Trent certainly ran one, (I remember seeing pictures of it in their offices in the 70s), it was forward control, with a dropside body. My late father in law also commented just how smooth the 6 cylinder engines were. He drove for John Harper in Willenhall, in the 30s, Chain drive Albions up and down to London Docks.

Armstrong Saurer also produced a bonneted 4x2, and a forward control 6 wheeler, the Dauntless. I think that production ended around 37/38. In Suisse Saurer and FBW merged in the 80s, forming Nutzfahrzeuggesellschaft Arbon and Wetzikon, (NAW), which was swallowed by Daimler Benz in 1982…and no more. Fantastic engineers, (and they also made Sewing Machines…just like their engines!!!

Cheerio for now. then