Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Fergie47:
Not a lorry…but…

Out for a ride on the bike the other day, came across this beast parked up in a garden, didn’t have a camera so got these off Google street…Don’t know too much about civil aircraft, but my mates seem to think its French… any plane anoraks ?. :wink:

It looks similar to the one I posted up back a few pages that belonged to a haulier, well, its got two wings, 4 engines, and a trail,… I’m probably miles out… :blush: :blush:

Hello Dave Senior

What an interesting find!!
That looks hugely similar to a Lockheed Super Constellation which once was the world’s most advanced and luxurious airliner.
Hugely similar except for the triple-tail design which your one does not seem to have so I am really puzzled.

Here is the full information on this legendary airplane: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Constellation

Interestingly, one of the survivor units was actually flown to Europe from the US I believe in 2004 and fully restored to optimal flying condition, and in summertime is often seen participation in airshows in Sion airport, some 30km from where I live.
The noise produced by those four Pratt&Whitney radon engines is something else.

Here are some pictures of that very plane I took in 2006, parked up in Geneva airport when I still lived near there.

She was known for her huge engine oil consumption (apparently up to 90 litres per hour once they had done a few engine hours). And also the smoky and flame-ridden start-up; check for flame at 00:51

And here is an amateur video (one of the lucky ones who secured a seat) from aboard (good quality and shows all the stages from inside and outside including engine start-up, take-off and cruising flight)

I secretly hope to organise a tour on that plane with my dad for his 73rd next year. He is still fit and healthy now, who knows how long for. So I say carpe diem!

Now the questions of course is whether Fergie’s picture is indeed of a Connie. The big puzzle is the tail which does not match. But I know of no other plane with that Dolphin-like allure.
David, would you mind sharing the exact location of that plane?