Atlas express

About 1974, my gaffer at Ripponden & District, asked me to take a lorry over to the Atlas depot in Manchester, as they could not cope with all the deliveries they had for the Manchester area. When I got there I soon realised that " could not cope " was a massive understatement :open_mouth:
Even more of a shock was when the harassed looking manager pointed to two bays of goods piled up to the rafters, much of it squashed and obviously damaged etc. He said all he wanted me to do was help my self to a full load of any thing to get the piles down a bit, oh and we can’t tie any of it up to paperwork so we won’t be giving you any !!
I rang my gaffer to explain what was happening, he was a bit upset and asked to speak to the manager, who then put me back on the phone.
My gaffer asked me to bring a load in and we would make our own delivery notes out from the addresses on the goods back at Ripponden.
I think we only did a couple more loads because we were getting a lot of grief from the deliveries, late deliveries, part deliveries etc. Even though it was not our fault, it was damaging our reputation, and our gaffer said never again !!
Regards, John.