Davis bros, felling

ben walker:

bigal20:
hi ben,billy green was the manager when i was there, the conditions were terrible, one old nackered salamander heater for heating the workshop,no doors on the workshop, but the pay was good for fitters, there were two of us there,but what a difference when i left there and went to cawthorn and sinclair(birtley),central heated workshops,20 to 30 fitters, better wages,12hour dayshift then 12 hour nightshift, i saw mr hubby once at davis, and he left his son roger to run the place, he was not there very long, we had a few thames traders(albert e ewer) charles poulter, and c bristow written on the doors, then we had some mercedes, i think they were larrow transport. al.

Hi Bigal.
A while before Davis finished up i went on to Nights London Warrington- and back on one of the Mercedes 1418s so i did not see Billy for a while before they finished up and did not know he became Manager,he had some kind of Accident I think but cant remember what it was.Moving to Cawthorns would be a good move i suppose, the conditions in the Workshops in Wapping were just the same for Fitters just a big Shed with no front on it open to the Elements and the old Salamanders for Heating and the Turkish Fitters always looking for Diesel to run them when you were filling up at the Pump,Ubby was the best of the Brothers easy to talk to and his son was was young when he used to hang about Wapping but seemed a nice Lad,They started Larrow after Davis finished but it only lasted a couple of Years think,
Ben