tanker companies

Lawrence Dunbar:

grumpy old man:
That Harold Woods motor brings back memories. Wormald Street Heckmondwike by the looks of it. I was born about half a mile from that site, i remember them moving there from Cleckheaton.

I remember it well GOM,I used to have a look at it on the way to Manchester 0n the old A62, I aslo remember the traffic lights around there they, had pads on the road to operate them There was a Policeman who used to stand on the roadside at night & when you were giving full throttle to get a run up the pull he used to step out & stamp on the pad so they would go to red what a pain in the arse that was Regards Larry.

Hi Larry, your tale reminds me of hauling timber fro Dolgellau to Wigan in 1970. No M56 then, we used to go through Frodsham on the A 56. Heading back for Wales, having tipped at Riding & Andertons in Wigan dead on 5.00, there was a steep hill down to (I think) the river Weaver, followed by a sharp pull up the other side. Just after the river was a set of traffic lights. As I approached they turned to Amber. I took my foot off, then pushed it back down hard. The lights went to red the second before I crossed them.
Predictably a copper stood out in the road with his hand up. The usual bollocking followed, my eyes to the floor in humble apology. I always felt that they enjoyed their power over you, and despite the natural reaction of wanting to tell him where to shove his lights, I always grovelled!

It worked in this case and I didn’t get a fine and endorsement. I was always a bit careful at those lights thereafter! Perhaps the old style of policing was better in many ways!

John.