The MIGHTY Volvo F7

Totally unrelated to this thread I know, but you’ve just thrown a Molotov cocktail into the old memory bank there Trooper. Just out of curiosity, Is Ken Miller still operating ? I remember their yard at Wheelton very well. When I drove for Steetley Transport out of the Ravenhead brickworks at Upholland, my transport manager at the time, Alan Rathbone, was quite pally with Ken, and as the T11 engine in my Leyland Octopus could be somewhat temperamental, it could often be found over their pit, while his time served Leyland mechanic, a cracking bloke called John … Something … I’m sorry, I can’t remember his surname, but I’m sure it’ll come back to me the very second I click onto the submit button. Ashworth, that was his name, got to grips with the problem. I’ve actually got a couple of photos of John working underneath my motor. Anyway, if it was built in Leyland and this guy couldn’t repair it, it’s next port of call would have been George Cohen’s yard.

I remember a few of their drivers, one lived on Pall Mall in Chorley, but I forget his name, another one named Harry lived in Leyland, just off Golden Hill Lane, and there was another bloke called Mick. This lad snapped his leg as he was climbing up onto the trailer in Ravenhead brickworks and his foot went through the skids stacked across the landing leg support brackets.

I’m going back to about 1986 here, so it may have been a bit before your time, or maybe not.

Cheers. Eddie.