Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR

Wildy:
Hi Dave, quick question… If asked to pick up a shipping container from a railport and the UN codes on the sides do not match up what would be the correct procedure? Class 4.1, rear showing 2000, front 2002 and one side showing 2200. I know that the correct code should be 2000 for the product on board.

Hi Wildy,

A shipping container (ISO) needs to be marked with placards for each UN Class on all four sides when there’s any amount of dangerous goods in it.

You’ve said that you were carrying UN 2000, which is CELLULOID, Class 4.1, PGIII.

There should have been a Class 4.1 placard on all four sides:

4_1.gif

On the front you said that there was “2002” which is CELLULOID, SCRAP, Class 4.2, PGIII
…But this would need a different placard, because it’s in a different UN Class (4.2.) :open_mouth:

4_2.gif

Now we come to the UN code of “2200,” which you said was on one side.
This is interesting, because UN 2200 is PROPADIENE, STABILISED, which is in UN Class 2.1: (a flammable gas.)

2_1.gif

If it were me, and given the info to hand, I’d have raised a query (possibly via your boss, the vehicle owner) with the firm who loaded the container onto your vehicle given that the UN Class of the goods loaded did not match the marking and placarding displayed on the container.

Clearly, the railway’s acceptance procedure at the point of departure (before it ever got to where you were to collect it) is somewhat lacking because any half sensible checking procedure should have picked up on this really basic error.

Just for my own interest, how were the UN codes displayed?
And… can you remember the approx. weight of the dangerous goods?
And… were there actually any gas cylinders in the container? :grimacing: