Broken Wheel Nuts

jonowag:
This week I was suspended from work. Basically my normal lorry went in for its inspection. A few days later I was suspended for a wheel nut that had gone missing (later found to be snapped). That morning I did my defect checks it a yard with cameras, like I do everyday.

All the remaining wheel nuts on the wheel was loosing when it was found before the service, obviously taking the tension from the broken nut. I tipped that morning at a tip with massive pot wholes, I still went slow but still rocked the wagon from side to side. Could this be a reason for the snapped nut?

Basically I’ve got a final written and have to pay for the damaged hub. Could anyone point me in the right direction of a website or similar with information on such subject.

Cheers all.

You shouldn’t be paying for the damaged hub. Firstly they are not allowed to deduct it from your wages without agreement from you or as agreed in your contract…
acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4125

Further, they would have to prove it was down to your negligence for them to ask you to pay for it. Seeing as they have already done this it would be interesting to know what the wording of your final written says ?