Axminster transport

Evening all,

Just an odd memory that came back to me today, while sitting, (amongst the assorted humanity), that like me, were waiting to be “processed” by our beloved NHS…(surely an organisation that could benefit from some real “bum kicking”)…but I digress…

I remember Peter sending me a small package, that contained some rather neat little Axminster, and Chard Transport promotional, adhesive oval stickers, printed in his livery, and very smart they were indeed.

One went onto my office window in Venissieux, (improved the view out into the “works)”.

One went onto my travel bag, another onto my brief case, and over the years others found places on filing cabinets, car windows, and other such places, from Lyon, to Paris, Marseille, to Caen, to Milan, to Allentown, and of course Dallas…(.he should have paid me for the International Marketing of his business)!

I had been in Dallas around three weeks, and was sort of becoming semi organised…when I was visited by a prospective Midliner client and his business partner, a late middle aged lady, (but of fine fettle…if you get my drift)…Blonde of Coiffeure, and statuesque of build… Who as we spoke suddenly stared past me at “my bits of home”, that I had displayed on a typical US office “antique” bureau…a framed photograph of one of Ian Pollock`s TR305s, with a wonderfully sheeted load of Whisky Barrels…and a framed, (I was going up market) Chard and Axminster “sticker”…

"Did I know Chard "?, It transpired that her late husband had been in the United States Army Airforce, and had been stationed at an airfield close to Chard. They had visited the area back in the 60s, and had received a great reception. The conversation was easy, and suddenly I realised just how tight those ties between the US, and us in Britain really were…But they still hammered me on price of the trucks!

Forgotten all about that until you started this thread…and Ive still got the battered briefcase with the sticker on it…boy its done some miles!

Cheerio for now.