ERFs with 4MW cabs RHD & LHD

robert1952:

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:
Great! That’s two 6MWs for the files, at least. I notice that both these vehicles have the big, clearly-defined radiator grille, unlike the 4MWs: could this be an identifying feature, I wonder? Robert :smiley:

No, at least not to distinguish between 4 and 6MW. On page 1, there are at least two 6MWs with the usual grille- Pointer on a “K” plate and LHH on the “N”.

Incidentally, has anyone noticed that the Doyle tractor on page 1 has 5/6MW lamps in 4MW panels? :laughing:

Oh Lordy! It hasn’t got Rover 105S window winding handles too, by any chance? :laughing: Robert

Remember the press release I found mid week? The ‘new’ 6MW is mentioned as a cab “….of the same dimension and structure as the set back axle 5MW, but with a forward axle and sharing the 5MW’s improved lighting, heating, ventilation, soundproofing and cab suspension system to reduce driver fatigue…”

By that reckoning all the cabs with a forward set axle and the 7 inch headlamps are 6MW. The bigger grille being just an update for the very last 5 & 6MW cabs produced. The 4MW cab continued for another circa 18 months after 6MW’s were introduced, and seems to have retained the 5-3/4 inch headlamps so far as I can tell.