Old trucks still on the road

and.rs1800:
theres a few old motors about that i wouldnt mind having to drive :F88,scania 141 ,or my favourite,the ford transcontinental! my dad bought one of these in about 1981.it was only 2 or 3 years old and had a 335 14litre ■■■■■■■ and 13speed fuller box.i think it was originally specced for the middle east run,as it had an aircon unit on the roof and no rear mudguards ,only mudflaps.it was so fast and comfortable .it absolutely towered over every thing else on the road.still see the odd one working for a living.

The Transcontinental was so far ahead of it’s time. The specs were superior to almost anything but people thought they were just too big. When Renault started using the cabs on the Turboliner people thought they were a new concept. When you hit the brakes hard you could nearly read your front numberplate!
Nowadays, everyone uses high cabs, but that Transcon was the original.

My dad had a brand new Borderer with Ken Horwell in Cornwall. He didn’t have a hammock. He carried 2 boards and used to rest them on the door edges. Had to chase a copper across the field when the pratt pulled the door open to nag him for stopping where he had.

I have been very fortunate, really. I learned to drive a truck on a Bedford DL, then I had a 2800 Daf, followed by an A series ERF daycab. When I was given a Seddon Atkinson 301 it seemed right up to date. I have also been fortunate enough to plonk my ■■■■ in the drivers seat of a Scammel Crusader. The real flyer was my 87 Roadtrain with a 340 Rolls. You had to cut the pump right back to get it through test and it would be as dead as a hammer till it was opened up again.

Would it ever go then, though!!