Old trucks still on the road

Correct, over 30 years for Gilly. Finished up as senior driver and never had a decent motor all the time. Long nose Scammell. then Scammell handyman. 2nd Marathon in the yard M reg, then a Buffalo fixed head, (prayers every night someone would pinch it) Back to a couple of Mk2 marathons, a Y reg T45 for a month or two and then a A reg sleeper T45, Then a narrow cab Foden a few months and passed it on to PD (Chef of the BIG A team) when I retired in 97. Never drove a Scania, Merc, Volvo Daf etc in my life but could keep the old ones running when they had a bad day.

Correct with the Forces, did my National Service after serving my time as an engineer and getting 2 years deferment.
Learnt my nicking trade as a mill engineer pinching parts from one machine to run another.

Learnt to drive with my dad who had a bedford and an old RAF Leyland, no side windows in the doors, also relation who was Norman Jowett of Todmorden, Did a trunk one night when he was stuck, Had an old Thorneycroft and gave it up as a bad job when I got to Cavandish Street in Edmonton and the shunter was missing, I shunted and took his wife to show me around the smoke. then back up on trunk. All for a fiver.

Hope you all enjoy the Pennine, I will be watching between Littleborough and Tod by the brew cabin.