ERF trailers

And here is what ‘John3300’ had to say earlier today on the subject: I report it here because I do value John’s insight/memories/knowledge about these things. This quote is a fantastic piece of ERF history. Robert

This is what he posted:

''Hiya…news on the ERF trailers. they was assembled at Jennings ERF had taken over Jennings to get more factory space.

it took a few years to finish all the ordered horse boxes liberties caravanetts and god knows what else we built.
the main chassis legs come ready made, Jennings made the cross members and bearers. the running gear was Rubery Owen.

the trailers was welded up by Fred Bossons jennings welder in house…Yes he was good. another chap Arthur Banton come later from the rail sheds at Crewe.it was Fred that did the trailers. they was only 36 ft long as i remember. the brakes was first class as i car shared with a test driver, he told me how good they would stop.there is a photo of a ERF trailer behind a Bakers heavy haulage ERF on the scrapbook site…the only photo ive seen. there was no production line, after a horse box had been built and moved into the pain shop the trailer was assembled and moved out another trailer was started a few months later.

everything at Jennings was hand made.if i was to put my head on the line i,d say no more than 6 maybe 8 trailers was made

it was nt a big issue as i remember. they was built to TIR standard as tilt trailers.as i remember in 1967 a 36ft trailer was as big as you had.40 ft ers may have been for special work.but come along in maybe 1972 or 73.
John’’