Radclive transport

stevenjcoates:

chazzer:
Malcolm Coates was another driver who had been on the m/e for a long time and had worked for John ? the man who organised the Angola merceneries as transport manager based on the airfield behind Leigh Delamere services loading trailers for Kuehne and Nagel. Unfortunately Malcolm was in the dark to the fact that his boss was pocketing the upfront money and had been told that they were storing the trailers until there were enough to send probably 100 units in one go. Quite surprised when K & N reps turned up wanting to know why all their loads had’nt shipped but the money had been drawn. Malcolm went to Aus where he died in a trucking accident several years later or so I have been told, if I’m wrong I am sure someone will put me right.

Hello all,

I’m coming in a bit late here but I’ve just discovered this forum.

Malcolm was my dad and yes, our family moved to Australia in 1982 and he was sadly killed in his truck in an accident in 1985 when I was 14.

It’s been great to read through people’s stories on this forum. I have fond childhood memories of time at the Radclive yard in Faringdon and trips in the passenger seat through Europe - unfortunately not the Middle East - in the late 70s with Dad. Dad ended up as operations manager at Radclive in 1980.

I’ve posted some old Middle East photos (most of which I don’t know much about), as well as some scans from passports and diaries from the 70s you can see here: 1970s trucking in England, Europe and the Middle East - Malcolm Coates

I’d like to write something about this time and I’m trying to find out more about dad’s life, Radclive and what it was like being on the road during this time, especially driving the Middle East routes. I’d love to make contact with anyone who can tell me more - please send me a message if you have stories or memories you’d like to share.

Steve

I followed that link: it’s excellent, with some great Middle-East ‘run’ pictures. I recommend it! Cheers, Robert :smiley: