Ancliff Tankers Manchester

Rider200:

Wirlinmerlin:
Have just been reading these Ancliff posts with nostalgic interest as many remembered names leap out from 30, 40, even 50 years ago! Very spooky!
I 1964 and 1967).

I have just had a shock :open_mouth: looking at the pictues and reading your post, I was working in the Garage as apprentice on the spanners
and know most if not all the names and the trucks as well . If you look at the picture with the MG sport in it you can just make out the ford prefect that belonged to Stan Bains
the workshop chiefe Enginer that was fitted with a six cyclinder 3.ltr and a MG sports gearbox .The little red job in the midle was the formans (Harry Talior)
a Riley or Wolsey I think. I think Sunnters and Wynns worked together on the lowloader stuff , and you got it Wynns was part of the United transport group

Yes I remember Stan Bains and his “wolf in sheeps’” clothing Ford. He also had one, maybe two 3.8s Jags which he used to go to his holiday caravan in Anglesey. One day I was chewing my finger nails over some late or missing truck when he walked round the outside of the traffic office, noted my agitation and said-" Stop worrying lad. Whatever happens, tonight the sun will set in the west and will rise again tomorrow in the east!" I think that attitude had him looking jolly and kept him sane. Strange the things you remember. His boss was F Hooton. Something of a poisonous little fellow, always in a three piece suit. He had some strange ideas. He once came down to Ellesmere Port on a depot check. " Lad, " he said,“You aren’t doing your job properly!”. When I enquired why he thought that, he told me he had been into the mess room urinal and my name wasn’t on the toilet walls!! Harry Taylor was a lovely bloke who took his job too much to heart and ended up with a heart attack. The management kept asking him when he was coming back. He did come back but probably too soon and a little while later had another attack which did him in.