AEC Mercury

kevmac47:

Frankydobo:
That’s right Larry, good place to work then, we used to call Arthur ‘Arty Laffa’ , when it changed to Tillotson we got a guy from Yorkshire as the Manager, he was quite a good bloke too but Arthur still run the place pretty much as before, I remember he wasn’t impressed with the V8 Mandator Demo and wanted shot of it as soon as we done the headgaskets, probably why not many firms bought the V8 in the Northeast as the demo never done the rounds, Mercury’s though were very popular with many local companies. Franky.

Franky, do you remember Ralph Scott fromTillotsons? He lived on Benton Road not far from the dealer. He worked as a fitter at Waugh’s for many years and was still there when I left in 1984. I’m sure Larry will remember him,he was a magician with a seven pound hammer!!! a bit of heat and a well aimed belt, that would free it. He was so good everyone trusted him if he asked you to hold the chisel or the bar. Regards Kev.

Aye Kev I can remember old Ralphy, He was from the old school when fitters like him could mend anything & kept the gaffers motors rolling, No diagnostic crap like there is to-day, Regards Larry.