M.J.M. freight services

hi dunno if u still out there m8 ye I remember mjm use to work for them early nineties ones I remember my m8 stick /lives Bordeaux/as did Adrian also dave a.k.a teapot a gent .little barry from Bristol way guy we used to call Genghis .remember our haunts well claudes/saint boi /parked near little bp.mjm we use to say was might just make it ha ha gd times from steve Northampton hi to any of the lads

chilistrucker:
so dave lives in bordeaux eh. wonder if he comes on here, he could start his own little truckstop.

bigr250. be interested too see your pics.
when i started going abroad, which was early too mid nineties, there was a firm, i’m sure they were from liverpool, running too spain alot. think they had slightly older model trucks for the time, but if i remember correctly, alot of them were custom painted, i remember 1 with a dragons theme, think it was a globetrotter.
anything too do with you■■?

Only 5 years late with the reply!!! I think the firm your referring to was Vick Davis, he had a couple of custom painted Volvo’s, got himself a custom cell too when he got 15 years IIRC!!!

This was my late 80’s ride;

The smashed windscreen was from a bunch of striking lorry drivers in Pamplona 1989, they were on strike for 10 days & I favoured the idea of going home. I caused a bit of an international incident at the Irun the following night. I have mentioned it on here before but it’s a long story.

Ross.

Back then lots of people asked what the artwork on the deflector was, it was actually a reproduction of this piece by Boris;

They’ll soon have a law against that aka Jim’ll Fix It. :laughing:

Anybody remember them ■■?
Based in Redditch , Blue and White tag Scannys & Tilts
Belly tanks , cherry and trip money…Happy days !!!

montana man That was a long time ago. My mate Tony used to drive for them. But he worked out of Kent somewhere.

I’m sure they had some roadhaus MANs in the same colour scheme as the scanias late 90s. They were six wheelers but carried maximum diesel in specially designed ali tanks.

They used to do a lot of spain & portugal with car parts if I remember rightly.

I remember crossing into portugal at villa formosa around mid morning on a monday and was flagged down by one of there drivers as I ran through the old TIR parking area. He’d had a few cervesas the night before and fallen asleep with the TV on and woke in the morning to flat batteries. None of the lads he was with had any jump leads so they had gone and I was the first brit to pass through that morning. He was due to be in porto for midday and was sweating on finding any help that day.

I got him started and told him always look for a fridge motor because they’ve usually got a set of leads with them.

It always amazed me how many guys you’d meet over the water who didn’t even have the basics to change a bulb or wheel.

Cheers
neilf

“It always amazed me how many guys you’d meet over the water who didn’t even have the basics to change a bulb or wheel.”
Some of them were proud of it & told stories of how other drivers changed their wheels etc. while they made the tea. Professional Ponce’s!

Yeah nielf the roadhaus’s were 463s on R plate. I test drove the first one in company colours with the rep on board and promptly took it straight back and got back into my 450… :laughing: :laughing: They were mid lifts with 600 litre tanks and super singles on the front.
I agree with Harry though about how poorly equiped some drivers were. I carried enough spares and tools to get my ■■■■ out of most situations although because I had my motor kept on top of I only ever used them on other peoples motors… :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

The car parts were mostly spain to england for Transportes Gerposa on the GM contract.

I’M working with a driver who used to work on there.He said they were a right shower to work for.But it gave him a valueable start to driving.He’s got many a story to tell.

Tony b

:wink: :wink: :wink: Sounds about right tonyb. Who is said person ? I may know them… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

PM me if you don’t wish to announce his ID

MJM “maybe just maybe”

I think it was the lottery catchphrase at the time but it seemed rather apt.

Mostly good lads from what I remember from back in the days when there were always plenty of uk motors in spain.

Cheers
Neilf

WHO COULD FORGET FRANK AND CARRIE. THEY ARE A ITEM NOW LIVING IN CORBY. I SEE THEM ALOT. VERY GOOD FREINDS. MJM=NO TAX TRANSPORT. THE OWNER HIS NAME ESCAPES ME DIED LAST YEAR IN HIS APPARTMENT IN SPAIN FOR THOSE WHO DID NOT KNOW. SORRY FOR SHOUTING. CAPS LOCK WONT RELEASE :cry: :cry: PS AND STIX WHO LIVES IN BORDEAUX. STILL ON FOR ALLEYS

rliicker
Try Roger Marriot.

thats it. thanks. getting old now the memory aint what it used to be. what ■■

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Shame about Roger passing…

Despite what a lot of people say he was a total gentleman to me. I would imagine it was his liver as he was partial to a scotch or 2 :smiley: :smiley:
Always kept a good single malt in the desk drawer. Sat and put the world to rights more than once with him :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: .

Oh and the official title was

Might Just Make it…

R.I.P. Roger

They used to ship out through Poole alot but i cant remember any of the
drivers names now,they were scania 112 from memory with tilts and
were always breaking down.I can always remember drivers shipping
out with a mechanic to repair a broken down lorry in France or Spain.

I remember two of there drivers shipping into Poole on a Saturday morning
in about 1989/90 ■■ clearing customs and leaving,whilst heading up the
A34 theystopped in a layby and crossed the dual carrigeway to a burger
van,upon finishing there food,they went to recross the A34 forgot they
were back in England and one was killed by a car!

I cant remember the drivers names now but the other driver was going out
with a girl from truckline at the time.Someone here might know there
names ?

Hi there Tom , i do remember MJM, their drivers would frequent the now bulldozed down BP truckstop in Saint Andre de Cubzac , which was North of Bordeaux in France , the truckstop waitresses married a lot of English drivers and worked and lived in France .
The BP stop used to get a bit rowdy after having a few too many beers , there were reports of fighting , i think MJM did a lot of Portugal . The BP was an overnight stop after coming off the ferries and about a days driving from the ports .

harry:
“It always amazed me how many guys you’d meet over the water who didn’t even have the basics to change a bulb or wheel.”
Some of them were proud of it & told stories of how other drivers changed their wheels etc. while they made the tea. Professional Ponce’s!

:smiley:

I think Harry should remember that when you were running in convoy and one of you had a blowout that it was always the way that every one else changed the wheel and the one who had the blowout had the most important job of putting the kettle on and making the tea… and god help him if he didn’t have any biscuits

:imp: OL’ GRAVEL GUTS :smiling_imp:

I was the rep who financed two of the batches of MANs - first the P PLATES P242/3/4/5/6 SWK, then R420/1/2/3/4/5 GOJ !! I know its sad knowing the reg numbers, but they were well known within my company!!.

Susbequently i now own three heavy MAN tractor units (6x4 and 8x4 ) and was offered some vehicle parts to repair one of mine - including a cab that lookied suspiciously like one from an exMJM vehicle.

Only problems were that some of their finances were never wonderful - I used to collect the rentals on the vehicles on a weekly basis after Blessgold went in 1999, and until Britspan went under owing nearly £1/2 million!!.

I remember having to go to Spain to bring one of the vehicle back when they went pop!!!