Favorite Routiers and other European Truckstops

kendavies:
Hello Fergie, Didn’t work for Lloyds of Ludlow by any chance ■■ if so I remember you!
worked in Switzerland myself and made some good friends there, so I endorse everything said by Harry and Ossie.
The church you mention was on the St. Louis side and used to be the old parking place before they opened the Bachgraben, my your going back a bit early '70’s as I remember. Used to have to park there and then walk up to the border and get a Laufzettel or similar it was TIR Carnets back then before T. Forms. The owner of the restaurant Zollstuebli was called Tilly and yes Frieda worked there (but she was Yugoslav I think) nice people I think Tilly came for a trip to England once with one of the regular drivers. Happy days…

hello Ken (?)

That’s the place mate…proof you’ve been there,not many would know that, for me that was '72 / '73 I guess…
No, didn’t work for for Lloyds, a small family firm, Jim Squibb, Southampton. He ran a contract F88 on Avon tyres every week, tyres out, Rayon cord back. The regular driver was off for a long time, so I took over, but we also did the odd “milk run” tyres to the Avon depots all over Switzerland, + rayon cord back, great job, loved the place.
Got a friend who lives in Geneva, hope to make a visit soon, and if possible, gonna get up to Basil / St Louis, just for old times sake, if I make it, I’ll toast a beer for you in the Hotel…

Here’s that bloody bell tower…remember it ?