Favorite Routiers and other European Truckstops

Fergie47:

kendavies:
While were doing photo’s, do any of these strike a chord!

OssieD:
The last photo is the old main French/Swiss St Louis border looking from the Swiss side, had a lot of fun there on a Monday morning packed to the gunnels with lorries trying to discharge their TIR carnets as it was in them days, obvious a modern photo as the old French border post was a wooden hut in the middle of the road, no posh canopy. The customs house was on the left looking from this side you had to drive round the back to get your seals checked, very tight. Two very good restaurants on the left and right on the Swiss side.

Ossie

Thanks for “kendavies” putting that photo up of ths St Louis border, and "OssieD for the comments.

Use to run to St Louis on a regular contract, been there so many times, I’ve tried over the years to find it unsussessfully on Goole Earth…made my day finding that…

■■■■ up for some reason one week, it was a bank holiday on the Friday - Monday, and I arrived on Thursday afternoon. I use to used the hotel on the left as you X’d the border from France, I was a regualr so to speak. I use to stay in the hotel, even though I had a sleeper cab, so after clearance ( but can’t travel till Tueasday am) I go and book myself in, but they were closing up for the holiday ( it was late Jan or Feb '73 I think).
But they fed me, and before I finished the meal the husband came over and asked if I’d like to join the family on a two day visit to the ski slopes, they hated the idea I’d be stuck in the cab for 4 days…Long story short, 2 days in the “shut” hotel, 2 days ski-ing with them and the two nippers, and they wouldn’t take a penny for anything, (although I treated the kids, when they let me)…really nice people Often think back, wonder if that would happen to-day…
Anyway…thanks for the memory… :slight_smile:

Fergie47,
Always used to stay in that hotel over the border on the left myself, especially on a cold winters night, really nice people I think Mama was the boss always had a soft spot for the drivers, they had a daughter or niece who was totally in love with a friend of ours who is no longer with us, so I wont mention any names but the girls name I think was Frieda, this was back in the late 60’s, and as Harry say’s lovely people the Swiss once they got to know you. Happy days.

Ossie