Favorite Routiers and other European Truckstops

Spardo:
I’m sorry I missed that one Heraultais. Last year I was loading in the morning at a regular place for me to the east of Carcassonne and looking for a place to stop overnight. Normally in these cases I stop at the Cheminiers on the Castelnaudary by-pass but this time I was coming from the south and I spotted this in my routier book and also found it on Google Maps so committed myself to going there. It is still shown on the latter as being open.

You can imagine I was well ticked off when I found it shut and was forced to going a long way out of my way to park up at the Relais des Corbieres at Lezignan-Corbieres. Fortunately that one is a very good traditional routier with everyone seated at one long table and I have stopped there several times since. It seems to be run by one couple, perhaps with one other hired staff. Amazing when you consider that I think there are rooms above for commercial travellers too.

Another good was further down the road just before Narbonne at Montredon des Corbieres. It was called La Caille qui Chante. They did a really good fish pie, again eating there with my wifes cousin. It changed owners, who renamed it and tried to take it upmarket. Within 6 months it was shut and hasn’t reopened since.

I know the Relais des Corbieres as I work out of L-C, but have never eaten there. Will give it a go one day.